Mindset — What is It?
A mindset is our frame of mind.
It’s a cumulation of:
- Thoughts we’ve formed about the world.
Essentially, it’s the lens that we use to observe the world.
- Our mindsets are very deeply ingrained within our beliefs, so it requires a lot of work to change them.
Fixed vs. Growth
A fixed mindset is a belief that our qualities are fixed traits that we cannot change.
- People with this mindset believe that it is talent alone that leads to success.
A growth mindset is thinking that our intelligence can grow with time and experience.
- People with this mindset believe that with growth comes the potential for success.
- This mindset encourages us to put in extra time and effort in hopes of obtaining higher achievement.
Clearly, a fixed mindset limits us while a growth mindset allows us to, as the name suggests, grow.
Hard, but not Impossible
Going home to our parents with a B, scared sh*tless because we got scolded for every little setback is a fear that was very real to many of us in our childhoods.
Unfortunately this has probably cultivated a fixed mindset for you. Fear not, though — there’s room to change.
LITE presents 5 simple tips:
- Make personal development a priority for yourself.
- Take the time to actually prioritize yourself over all the pressures that are being put on you.
- Doing something you’re passionate about will cultivate that growth mindset.
2. Change your language and self-talk.
- Change your negative self-talk to an empowerment speech.
- Self-deprecating humor is funny to an extent, but it gets old real fast.
3. Learn & apply
- Read books from great minds to understand and adopt their thinking!
- Some great examples include Mindset by Carol Dweck, or Everything by Gabrielle Bernstein.
4. Surround yourself with people that match your desired mindset.
- You might not realize it, but the community you’re part of has a huge impact on the mindset that you have.
- Start hanging out with people that are successful, or have the mindset that you want to have. Who knows, maybe they’ll even share some tips!
5. Create new habits that correlate with this mindset.
- Integrate powerful habits into your day that help your mindset change and reinforce your thinking with action.
- Whether this be with scheduling or daily meditation, start new habits that would catalyze this change.
Huber, Liz. “7 Ways to Level up Your Mindset — the Startup — Medium.” Medium, The Startup, 17 May 2018, medium.com/swlh/7-ways-to-level-up-your-mindset-5395fd103310
“How to Upgrade Your Mindset to Succeed in Life.” Psychology Today, 2019, www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-adaptive-mind/201911/how-upgrade-your-mindset-succeed-in-life